40 FOOT CATAMARAN. “GAME CHANGER”
Whale Watching Tours.
From $65.00 (Introductory Offer) Whale Season June to October
Duration: up to 3 Hours (approx.)
Departing from Southport, QLD
AN ADVENTURE OF A LIFETIME
This is our premium 2-3h Gold Coast whale watching adventure tour in our super fast 40foot catamaran “Game Changer”. This is a personalised experience on a larger vessel with a maximum of 42 guests. Spectators can look forward to close encounters as humpback whales swim by the vessel and on occasion come alongside to show off and pose for photos. Climb up to the viewing deck to see the whales breaching and enjoy the ultimate viewing of the whales from the top deck.
Whilst no vessel is allowed to approach whales closer than 100m, our experience shows that the whales are usually approaching us whilst our engines are turned off and the vessel drifts through the water. For this very reason, our vessel is frequently chartered by research groups to conduct field surveys and sampling. This Gold Coast whale watching cruise departs ex Southport, 95 Marine Parade.
- Up to 3h* return whale watching cruise on “Game Changer” express boat
- Departs up to 2 times per day including at sunrise
- Larger groups upto 42 guests
- Great for photographers
- Closer whale encounters possible
- Whale sightings guaranteed*
- Knowledgeable staff
- Participate in whale research activities (optional)
- Waterproof jackets provided
Our whale watching tours depart up to 2 times per day on selected days. Check our website calendar for live availability and times. Daily departure times may vary due to tides and other factors.
- Meet 07:30am for 8:00am departure – Morning Tour (usually the calmest sea conditions and the least likelihood of a weather cancellation)
- Meet at 11:30am for 12noon departure – Midday Tour (the most popular choice for locals)
Please note that departure times can vary and are subject to change on short notice. Please check your booking reminder emails for time changes or check our calendar for the latest times and availability. From there, you can also book and pay online.
“Game Changer” is our largest whale watching vessel and is designed for larger groups and features a top deck for the ultimate viewing experience.
- Early Bird Price – $65pp (All Ages)
- Private Charter for upto 40 people – $2200
- A small booking fee is charged on check-out by the booking system provider.
- This tour is conducted on a larger vessel that has modern seating and facilities. Boarding and disembarking as well as holding on whilst underway requires a moderate level of fitness and mobility.
- Any person with a serious medical conditions including pregnancy or physical disability should chose a larger vessel instead. If unsure please email us beforehand or consult your treating doctor.
- Whilst we try our best to plan tours around sea conditions, participants must be prepared to maybe get partially wet due to sea spray. We do provide spray jackets and these events are rare. We usually cancel and reschedule tours for comfort reasons if wind forecasts exceed 15 knots however sometimes forecasts aren’t 100% accurate.
- Minimum age is 10 years for boating safety reasons e.g. life jacket sizes etc. Families with smaller children should choose a large whale watching vessel.
BASIC ITINERARY (8:00 AM Cruise*)
- 7:30am – Meet us at the Aqua Adventure Centre Southport – use the toilets and get ready.
- 7:45am – Safety brief, put on spray jackets
- 8:00am – Depart marina and cruise through the Broadwater.
- 8:15am – Enter the open ocean to find and watch the whales.
- 10:00am – Commence return cruise to the Marina whilst watching whales.
- 10:30am – Arrive back at our Southport Jetty.
*Other cruises follow the same itinerary but with a different departure times as advertised.
Our primary whale watching vessel is, a 12m long, aluminium, catamaran adventure boat with a capacity of upto 42 guests. Whilst spectators are more exposed to the elements, the vessel provides an incredible intimitade feel of closeness to the water. Due to its small size and quiet engine, whales love to check out our boat up close.
BOOKINGS & PAYMENT
- Select cruise date and time
- Hit the book now button
- Enter your personal details
- Check-out and receive our booking confirmation via email
- A small booking fee is charged by the system provider on check-out
- All of our tours must reach a minimum of 4 participants to depart
PARTICIPATE IN RESEARCH (optional)
You can also (optional) participate in research activities such as filling in survey data sheets and using the hydrophone to listen to underwater sounds. Each participant will receive a print brochure with a summary of information about humpback whales and what options there are to get involved. Alternatively, you can simply sit back, relax, take photos enjoy the experience.
WHAT TO BRING
- SunSmart clothes (hat, sunglasses, sunscreen etc.)
- Warm clothes as it can get cold
- Drinking water (no glass)
- Waterproof bag for phones etc.
- Camera (splash-proof cameras recommended)
- Seasickness medication if needed (take well before departure)
- Meet us at 95 Marine Parade, Southport inside the Aqua Adventures Centre (Southport Fish and Dive Centre).
- Your confirmation email and reminder emails will include a map and a hyperlink for directions.
- Please be on time as we have to depart on time.
*WHALE SIGHTING GUARANTEE AND TRIP DURATION
Our minimum return trip duration is 2 hours however, if we don’t find whales initially, we will extent the tour duration to up to 3 hours. If whales are not spotted on a designated whale watch tour between the months of June to September, each passenger will be entitled to a ’stand-by ticket’ enabling them to return on another subsequent tour date subject to availability as per our online calendar. Refer to our terms and conditions to read the full details about our sighting guarantee.